|By Keith Mayer||
|August 29, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
In my Private Cloud talks with IT Pros, how best to virtualize Microsoft Exchange workloads, regardless of underlying hypervisor, has been a recurring hot topic area of discussion. At Microsoft Tech Ed 2012, Jeff Mealiffe, Senior Program Manager on the Exchange team and responsible for Exchange virtualization guidance, delivered a great session on "Best Practices for Virtualizing Microsoft Exchange Server 2010". This is a great resource to study when planning virtualized Exchange deployments! Below, I've included the following items to help you get started with virtualizing Exchange:
- The recorded session video
- A link to the downloadable slide deck
- An indexed recap of my session notes
- Links to additional tools and resources that I've personally found helpful
I'm definitely looking forward to building my next virtualized deployment of Exchange 2010 on Windows Server 2012 RTM when it releases on Sept 4th! The increased VM resource densities in Hyper-V v3 of up to 64 virtual processors and 1TB RAM per virtual machine will be a big boost to virtualizing mission critical heavy-duty workloads like Exchange mailbox server roles and multi-role servers.
Download a copy of the session slide deck.
Session Notes with Video Index
- Supported Exchange Virtualization Scenarios [ 4:00 ]
- Exchange 2010 SP1 or later
- Hyper-V or any hypervisor in the Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP) - link provided below.
- Items Not Supported when Virtualizing Exchange [ 7:00 ]
- Hypervisor snapshots
- Differencing / Delta disks
- CPU oversubscription in a ratio > 2:1
- Applications running on the parent / root partition
- VSS backups of VMs from root
- NAS storage of virtual disk files
- JetStress Support in Virtualized Environments [ 12:10 ]
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 or later
- Supported in VMs on VMware ESX 4.1 or later
- More Info - http://bit.ly/HP8G0f
- Big Problems to Avoid for Production Exchange VMs [ 17:53 ]
- Dynamic Memory / Memory Overcommit [ 18:00 ]
- VM Snapshots [ 31:57 ]
- CPU Oversubscription [ 35:05 ]
- Overview of Best Practices [ 38:05 ]
- Hypervisor adds CPU overhead - 10-12% in our Exchange 2010 tests [ 39:22 ]
- Size for physical and provide those resources to each VM [ 40:31 ]
- Exchange is architected for scale-out scenarios, avoid "all eggs in one basket" [ 40:48 ]
- Resource Sizing [ 43:16 ]
- Start with physical sizing process - use calculator (listed below)
- Account for virtualization overhead (10-12%)
- Determine VM placement to account for HA
- Size root servers, storage and network infrastructure
- Guest VM sizing [ 47:18 ]
- Size Mailbox role first - other role sizes factored from Mailbox server requirements
- Considerations for use of Multi-role servers - Mailbox, Hub and CAS roles on single VM
- Unified Messaging Sizing [ 49:08 ]
- Min 4 Virtual Processors (VP)
- VM with 4VP & 16GB memory can handle 40 concurrent calls with Voice Mail Preview (65 calls without)
- Storage Decisions [ 52:47 ]
- Exchange storage separate from Guest OS virtual disk physical storage
- Must be fixed virtual disk, SCSI pass-through (RDM) or iSCSI (terminated at host or guest)
- SCSI pass-through (RDM) recommended to host queues, DBs and logfile streams unless using Hyper-V Live Migration where CSV is recommended
- Must be block-level storage - NAS volumes not supported
- Virtual Processors [ 56:04 ]
- Prefer smaller number of multi-core VMs vs many single-core VMs
- Don't assume that a hyperthreaded (SMT) CPU is a full CPU core
- Private Cloud [ 57:08 ]
- Good model for providing virtual infrastructure resources to Exchange, but be careful with "dynamic" cloud capabilities
- Be prepared to apply different resource management policies to Exchange VMs
- Host-based Failover Clustering [ 59:41 ]
- Not an "Exchange Aware" HA Solution - Does not provide HA in the event of storage failure / data corruption
- If using, combine with DAG when possible to provide maximum HA - Admin can re-balance DAG after failover to redistribute
- VM Live Migration and Exchange [ 01:04:50 ]
- DAG does not need to be dynamically re-balanced
- Use CSV rather than pass-through LUNS for all Mailbox VM storage
- Consider relaxing cluster heartbeat timeouts (5 seconds = default, 30 seconds = max recommended)
- Size network appropriately for Live Migration
- VM Placement [ 01:08:26 ]
- Don't co-locate DAG database copies on same physical hosts
- Distribute VMs running same roles to different physical hosts
- If not using multi-role VM's, consider isolating mailbox and hub role VMs on separate physical hosts if possible
Additional Tools and Resources
- Exchange virtualization supportability guidance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj126252.aspx
- Understanding Exchange Performance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351192
- Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator - http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/01/22/updates-to-the-exchange-2010-mailbox-server-role-requirements-calculator.aspx
- Exchange JetStress and Load Generator Tools - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335108
- Server Virtualization Validation Program - http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp/
- Exchange 2010 Tested OEM Solutions (on Hyper-V)
- HP Configurations
- DELL Configurations
- Unisys Configurations
- Unisys ES7000 Servers for 15,000 users: http://bit.ly/kOBSuo
- EMC Configurations
- EMC Unified Storage and Cisco Unified Computing System for 32,000 users - http://bit.ly/9DBfoB
|Build Your Lab! Download Windows Server 2012|
|Don’t Have a Lab? Build Your Lab in the Cloud with Windows Azure Virtual Machines|
|Want to Get Certified? Join our Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Study Group|
|Do IT Pros ROCK? Please VOTE for us!|
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 1, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 607
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 755
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 748
The idea of comparing data in motion (at the sensor level) to data at rest (in a Big Data server warehouse) with predictive analytics in the cloud is very appealing to the industrial IoT sector. The problem Big Data vendors have, however, is access to that data in motion at the sensor location. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Scott Allen, CMO of FreeWave, discussed how as IoT is increasingly adopted by industrial markets, there is going to be an increased demand for sensor data from the outermos...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 520
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 532
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jul. 1, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,295
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 1, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 672
"We work in the area of Big Data analytics and Big Data analytics is a very crowded space - you have Hadoop, ETL, warehousing, visualization and there's a lot of effort trying to get these tools to talk to each other," explained Mukund Deshpande, head of the Analytics practice at Accelerite, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 1, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 730
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2016' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited t...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 609
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profession...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 541
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,040
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jun. 30, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 417
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,389
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,533
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 675
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 763
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,137
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 726
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,004
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 590